PBIS (Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports)
Carroll Junior High has a Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports or PBIS system in place. We begin our school year teaching expectations, routines, and procedures in each classroom. Our expectations for PBIS are as follows:
PUPS is the acronym as we are the Bull Pups:
- We strive to be impactful scholars.
- Our goal is to be productive members of society.
- We recognize that we are the change we seek.
- It starts with each of us.
- We equip ourselves to be leaders.
- If we stay ready, we will not have to get ready.
- We follow the safety procedures and protocols.
- Be aware of surroundings and avoid unsafe situations.
We have specific guidelines for each expectation for the various locations on campus. They include hallways, classrooms, cafeteria, gym, library, and bus pick up area - with rules pertaining to that particular location.
When a student chooses to disobey or not live up to the expectations, we created a refocus form for the student to fill out. The student is asked to go to the refocus center and fill out this form. The hope is that the form will allow the student to see which expectation they are not following and to correct the behavior. When the student fills out the refocus form, they are allowed to resume class and the teacher will have a conference with the student during that class period. Should the student continue with this behavior or move onto another, the same process will happen but during the conference the student will be warned of what will happen if this type of behavior continues. After a parent conference and four refocus forms, the student will receive an office referral.